Monday, March 14, 2011

Dear Dad,

I`m safe and all is well here in Iizuka. I`ve had some interesting experiences that I`d like to tell you about though. Just yesterday I was out house contacting with my companion and we met a man. He opened the door and when he saw us, he started to close the door. We somehow got him to listen to us for a second and then we got to talking. I asked him if he believed in God. He told me no, and said the earthquake is evidence that God doesn`t exist. I explained to him why these things happen, and how we sometimes have hard times in life which make the good times so much sweeter. I told him we can learn from these things and we continued talking. We continued on and taught him the gospel of Jesus Chirst. I was teaching him about baptism and he was listening very intently when man`s wife walked up. So I pretty much had to start over from the earthquake. This time as I re said the things I said and the man was in agreement with me, and the wife began to understand. I told them how I love and respect parents, especially mine because of the hard things they go through for their families. We talked a lot about how God is the same, going through a lot for our benefit. It was an awesome lesson. Their little daughter came out and listened too. Opportunities to teach a whole family at once are very rare, and I was so glad that it went from an almost shut door, to a wonderful lesson. After about 45 minutes of talking, they said we could come back. I`m stoked!

Wow, I didn`t know the earthquake was that massive. At first someone told me it was a 7 and that 1400 people were missing. Then I heard it was an 8.8 which was way bigger than what I had heard earlier! I was way surprised. And now I`m hearing it`s a 9.0 and possibly over 10,000 are dead. That`s way intense. As I told mom, there were 4 missionaries missing for about a day, but they`ve been contacted and are fine. So intense. I can`t believe that I`m 12 feet closer to you as well. That`s a crazy thought on how powerful the earthquake was.

I am very excited to being getting a package from you and I am looking forward to delicious beef jerky and letters from home. Thank you so much for continuing to support me and to love me. I love my whole family and I am very grateful that Matthew and Miles know why I`m here. I`m excited to see you in a year and a half. I love you dad. You are the man.

Love,
Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment